fails to start after upgrade to 5.5

General installation questions

fails to start after upgrade to 5.5

Postby tpo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:29 am

Hello,

after upgrading to Actifsource 5.5 from the previous release, Eclipse will start, but will not become ready - i.e. it will remain unresponsive.

Eclipse window appears it also shows the menu bar, but it will not display the project I was previously working on.

This is Win7, 64bit, Eclipse 4.2.0, JRE 1.6.0_24-b07.

I checked workspace\.metadata\.log and there was no entry about eclipse starting today. So I removed the file workspace\metadata\.lock and now I get entries in the log file:

Code: Select all
!SESSION 2012-08-23 10:35:54.471 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=I20120608-1400
java.version=1.6.0_24
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=de_CH
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2012-08-23 10:36:00.676
!MESSAGE The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover changes.

Any suggestions how to move forward?

Thanks,
*t
tpo

Re: fails to start after upgrade to 5.5

Postby tpo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:43 am

So renaming the directory name of project I was working on (so that Eclipse won't find it) helped. Now Eclipse is at least starting.
tpo

Postby Heiko Böttger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 am

Hello *t,

for looking into this issue we need to have further information from the .log-File which is stored in the .metadata of the workspace-folder. It's also interesting to know wether the freeze occurs with a freshly created workspace or not. After creating a new workspace you may import your projects from the old workspace via File->Import->General->Existing Projects into Workspace. Please let us know if that helps.

What was the previously version of actifsource and eclipse used with your workspace? Have you worked with eclipse 4.2 on this workspace before?

Regards
Heiko Böttger
Heiko Böttger

Postby tpo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:02 am

Heiko Böttger wrote:for looking into this issue we need to have further information from the .log-File which is stored in the .metadata of the workspace-folder. It's also interesting to know wether the freeze occurs with a freshly created workspace or not.

I've updated my original posting with the contents of the log file.

When I move aside (i.e. rename) the project folder of the project I was working on, then Eclipse will start without problems. I can then close Eclipse, rename the project folder back to its original name and restart Eclipse. No problems for Eclipse there.

Now I shut down Eclipse again and restart... and now it'll be stuck again.

Heiko Böttger wrote:After creating a new workspace you may import your projects from the old workspace via File->Import->General->Existing Projects into Workspace. Please let us know if that helps.

What was the previously version of actifsource and eclipse used with your workspace? Have you worked with eclipse 4.2 on this workspace before?

Yes, I was previously working with Eclipse 4.2 and it seemed to work. Note that I have close to no experience with Actifsource thatfor the "seemed to work". I don't know how to find out which Actifsource version I had before. I believe though that it was the previous one since I installed Eclipse/Actifsource around the 2nd of Juli 2012.

I'll allow myself to send you both the log and the project via private mail so you can have a look at them. I hope that's OK.

Thanks Heiko,
*t
tpo

Postby Heiko Böttger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 am

According to the log there are no new issues on startup except the one report under https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=380555.

Another thing you may do is starting the JVisualVM (see also http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock) that can be found in the Java JDK/bin directory (is not included in the JRE installation) and connect it to your freezing eclipse. On the threads tab you can create a threaddump and send it to us via mail. This way I can see what's going on.

After that you my try adding -refresh at the start of your eclipse.ini and see if that helps.

Best Regard
Heiko
Heiko Böttger

Postby tpo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Heiko Böttger wrote:Another thing you may do is starting the JVisualVM (see also http://wiki.eclipse.org/How_to_report_a_deadlock) that can be found in the Java JDK/bin directory (is not included in the JRE installation) and connect it to your freezing eclipse. On the threads tab you can create a threaddump and send it to us via mail. This way I can see what's going on.

You should have my project in your inbox by now and thus be able to reproduce the problem. I'll try to work around the problem as described in the previous post, in order to get some actual work done today.

Heiko Böttger wrote:After that you my try adding -refresh at the start of your eclipse.ini and see if that helps.

That didn't help.

Thanks,
*t
tpo

Postby Heiko Böttger » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 pm

tpo wrote:You should have my project in your inbox by now and thus be able to reproduce the problem. I'll try to work around the problem as described in the previous post, in order to get some actual work done today.

It's always better to have additional information when an issue occurs. Having the project alone is sometimes not enough, for example refresh information is stored in the workspace not in the project. Since there are many plugins that may be installed into eclipse, startup can be difficult to track down. By providing a fullstack trace it would be much easier for us to find the problem, especially in case of multithreading issues. We will try to reproduce the issue with out this information, however feel free to send in the information on any later time.

Best Regards
Heiko Böttger
Heiko Böttger

Return to Installation