Does you change the Eclipse.ini ?

General installation questions

Does you change the Eclipse.ini ?

Postby meierd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 am

I'm just wondering, about:

I had to install the eclipse Helios a and the eclipse Juno Version twice time again. After downloading actifsource (from the updateside) i couln't start eclipse again (JVM error). After searching a little bit arround I realised that in the eclipse.ini file the parameter -Xmx got changed from -Xmx1g to -Xmx4g. Just to make this clear: Is this driven by your installationroutine?? (I do not have 4Gig's of memory ;) )

Thanks
Dome
meierd

Re: Does you change the Eclipse.ini ?

Postby Heiko Böttger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 am

Yes, we do :)

According to http://www.actifsource.com/download/index.html the Recommended System Requirements suggests a 64-bit System with 8GB. As many customers have no idea about the settings in the eclipse.ini and some of them run out of memory even having 8 GB RAM installed, we desided to set 4 GB as the maximum heap space. We expected that every one using a 64-bit system would have at least 4 GB.

Is it a 32 bit system? May be we are able to change the installation to set the limit only on 64bit machines.

Heiko
Heiko Böttger

Postby meierd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 am

Yes it's a 32bit System :cry: (We save every $$$$, koste es was es wolle ;) )

My Problem is that I spend many time to achive at least that eclipse is using 1.5Gig of memory by playing arround with vm arguments. (upon 6 months ago there was even no java 1.5 installed on the machine and i had to make some workarrounds to use a portable java1.6 enviroment since i is impossible to install anything to the machine. Our IT service remember me sometimes on the character Mordac prefender of IT from the dilbert comics ;) )

By my opinion I think the best way would be a messagebox during installation to make users aware that you are going to modifiy the eclipse.ini ?
meierd

Postby Heiko Böttger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 am

Hm, showing a dialog box is not what is offered by eclipse :( . We use the default approach of changing the eclipse.ini, which consists of adding a touchpoint action to the p2.inf. I will have a look into this on the next deployment.
Heiko Böttger

Return to Installation